With no crust to worry about, this riff on the classic recipe is a dead-easy brunch or lunch for a crowd.
Prep time: 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 1 cup diced smoked ham
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere, Swiss, or sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in the 3.5 Quart Sauté Pan.
- Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Sprinkle the ham, cheddar cheese, and Parmesan evenly over the onions.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, and evaporated milk.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, mustard, and cayenne pepper in another bowl.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture, then gently pour it over the onion mixture.
- Cover the pan and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes until the edges are set and the center jiggles slightly when the pan is gently shaken.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes until completely set.
- Serve wedges warm or at room temperature.