In Spain they are called tortillas, in Italy this egg dish is named the Frittata. Served for breakfast, lunch or dinner this pan omelet is versatile and easy to prepare. Serve it right from the pan with buttered toast or a side salad.
Serves: 8 people
Calories: 118 caloriesIngredients:
- 10 whole eggs, large
- ¼ cup of cream or milk
- 2-Tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1-cup of potato cut into small dice
- 1-cup of sliced white or crimini mushrooms
- 1/3 cup of purple onion cut into small dice
- ¼ cup of sweet red bell pepper cut into small dice
- ½ teaspoon of de-stemmed thyme leaves
- ½ cup fresh spinach roughly chopped
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Whip the eggs together in a large bowl. Add the cream and grated cheese. Stir to combine. Set aside under refrigeration.
- Pre-heat the 360 by Americraft large fry pan over medium heat.
- Add 2-Tablespoons of butter to the pan and allow it to melt.
- Add the potatoes, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and thyme leaves to the pan. Season the ingredients with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté everything over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, approximately 10 minutes. (If anything sticks to the pan, deglaze it by adding 2 tablespoons of water then scrape the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking until water has evaporated.)
- Remove the egg mixture from the refrigerator. Re-whip the ingredients then add the chopped spinach. Pour this mixture over the vegetables in the fry pan. Give the mixture a few seconds to begin to set, and then gently scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. You are moving the eggs around, not to scramble them but to allow the bottom to cook evenly. Repeat this procedure until the eggs become slightly firm.
- Preheat your broiler. Place the fry pan on the top rack of the oven close to the broiler. The eggs will begin to puff up and become set in the pan. When the frittata is firm but still moist, remove the pan from under the heat. Allow it to sit for a minute or two before serving.
Add ½ cup of chopped ham, bacon or cooked meat of your choice.