Chicken In A Pot
360 Cookware Used: 4 Quart w/Cover
1 hour 10 mins
If the idea of eating whole garlic cloves turns you off, you’ve nothing to fear here. As they braise in the pot with the other aromatic vegetables, the cloves give up all their garlicky goodness to the rich chicken jus. What’s left is a handful of sweet, jam-y morsels that are particularly delicious slathered on the juicy meat or mashed into the sauce.
Author: 360 Cookware
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3 ½ to 4 pound) chicken, excess fat removed
- ⅓ cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 2 carrots, chopped small
- 2 parsnips, chopped small
- 1 rib celery, chopped small
- 8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat the 4 Quart Stock Pot over medium heat until it’s hot enough that water droplets bead across the surface, about 5 minutes.
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breast-side down in the hot, dry pot and cook until the chicken comes away from the bottom of the pan with no resistance, and the skin is nicely browned, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the wine, carrots, parsnips, celery, garlic cloves, thyme, and bay leaf to the pot.
- Lightly season the vegetables with salt and pepper and stir to combine. (Be sure to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.)
- Place the chicken breast-side up on top of the vegetable mixture.
- Cover the pot and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until steam just begins to escape from under the lid.
- Spin the lid to engage the vapor seal, then immediately reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 45 to 50 minutes until the juices run clear, and the vegetables are tender. (To ensure that the chicken is simmering and the water seal is engaged spin the lid once or twice during. If it spins easily, leave it alone until it’s done. If not, increase the heat to medium and cook until steam just begins to escape from under the lid. Then reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking.)
- To serve carve the chicken and spoon some of the vegetables and jus over each portion.