- Parchment Paper
- Cooking Spray
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Boiling Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Molasses
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- Cut a circle from the parchment paper, the size of the bottom of the 2.3 Quart Casserole. Spray the casserole with cooking spray and place the parchment paper circle inside the bottom of the pan.
- Combine butter and water in a heat safe, two cup, measuring cup. Stir until the butter is melted. Add sugar, molasses and stir to combine. Add the beaten egg and stir to combine.
- Sift the flour, ginger powder, baking soda, ginger cloves and salt into a medium bowl. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and place the pan on the stove top at medium-low heat. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- Remove the lid and let the cake stand for 10 minutes to cool. After cooling, place a plate upside down over the casserole. Holding the plate and casserole together, flip the cake over. Remove the casserole and the parchment paper. Use a second plate and repeat the flip to turn the cake right side up. Let the cake cool for another 15 minutes.
Serve with freshly whipped cream or a freshly made chunky applesauce.